We interviewed Reiner Mack, head of Onyx Solar in Germany
1. Taking into account your background at sustainable energy, what have led you to start a business relationship with Onyx Solar?
Following the trend in recent years of installing photovoltaic farms like almost everywhere and selling photovoltaic energy to the local grid, we always felt there must be better ideas and solutions out there. And there are! With Onyx Solar we found a way to go for truly green energy with BIPV components as the best available solution for our cities.
2. We met at a fair called Glasstec 2014 in Germany, How was your experience there?
The response of visitors at our booth was mind-blowing to me. I have attended a few other fairs in different business segments, but never experienced anything close to that. Germany is a demanding market in terms of quality, safety and efficiency. At Glasstec we were sure that the market was waiting for our products, which incorporate a high degree of innovation and design.
3. Based on your experience and knowledge of the German Market, are there any sustainable building trends? What do you think are going to be the market trends in the near future?
Despite the low solar radiation in this area, Germany is the country with the largest installed photovoltaic power in the world. I think this is proof that the renewable energy generation sources such as solar are the future. Furthermore, we are facing a lot of curiosity towards BIPV products. More and more companies focused on improved energy storage and management of renewable systems are approaching us for future cooperations. Another quite obvious trend is to combine all sorts of renewable energy sources in order to create a self-sufficient energy supply.
4. Onyx Solar solutions have active and passive properties higher than conventional glass. These properties also generate green and clean energy thanks to the Sun. What do the architects and the construction communities think about this kind of energy solution?
Particularly in Germany, many architects see the photovoltaic as something that is just spoiling their previous design by sticking cheap photovoltaic modules on roofs and finally covering the great initial look. The BIPV is something completely different with so much more options for architects and construction companies. Anyway, I believe that something has started already – in and outside Germany – which is going to be unstoppable and will have a huge success on designs of future buildings and projects.
5. Onyx Solar’s glasses are the only building material that generates energy and provide return on investment. What are the customers’ reactions when they find out about this innovative product?
That is quite an eye-opener for many of our customers. Many of them did not know about this innovative product and its big advantages.
6. After your visit at Onyx Solar in Avila, Spain, what is your opinion on our office and especially about our manufacturing facility? What do you think about our staff? Have you learned anything during your visit? Is there anything in particular that has impressed you?
One of the things that impressed me the most was the dedication and commitment at 100% of all the staff members with products and projects. The factory is something really special. The monitoring of the entire process, from design to the manufacturing and installation, is the key for their success.
7. How has your experience been as a distributor of Onyx Solar until today? How do you see yourself in five years?
We are just at the very beginning of an interesting future with ONYX Solar. What ever we do today in terms of explaining our product and all the networking, will pay off pretty soon. I think our future will be way beyond our humble imagination.
8. What would you recommend to our future distributors?
Commit to it and go for it! Use the entire Onyx Solar network! Let’s be successful together!